Taste the flavorful, juicy, and crispy beef strips you can’t find anywhere but in Idaho. This is the homemade finger steaks that will be everyone’s favorite once in a bite. It is perfect to serve with either fry sauce, cocktail sauce, or french fries as a quickly prepared dish. All you need is simply marinating, dredging in the seasoned flour, and frying to get these savory finger steaks.
What you need
1 pound of boneless beef sirloin, cut into finger-length strips
2 cups of buttermilk
1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce (buy here)
4 teaspoons of kosher salt
2 teaspoons of freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons of granulated garlic
2 teaspoons of dry mustard
2 teaspoons of sweet paprika
2 cups of all purpose flour
Vegetable oil for frying
Resealable bag (buy here)
Deep-fry thermometer (buy here)
How to make finger steaks
- In the mixing bowl, add the buttermilk, Worcestershire sauce, kosher salt, black pepper, granulated garlic, dry mustard, and sweet paprika. Stir until thoroughly combined, then add the beef strips and stir once again. You can also transfer the mixture to a resealable bag. Let it sit for at least 2 hours or overnight in the fridge
- Take the beef strips out of the marinade and put them on a plate. Keep the buttermilk marinade there because you will need it again to double coat your beef
- You can use a slotted spoon to allow the excess water to drain off so it does not leave any spots on your kitchen cabinet
- Dredge your beef strips with a mixture of all-purpose flour, salt, black pepper, granulated garlic, dry mustard, and sweet paprika.
- Incorporate them into the buttermilk mixture and put them back in the dredge again until evenly coated
- You will deep fry using a Dutch oven. Place your thermometer on it, put in the vegetable oil to about 3 inches in height, and heat it up to 350°F. Fry your beef strips, stirring them occasionally, for about 4 minutes or until golden brown
- After frying, put them on a shallow plate lined with paper towels to absorb the oil. Your finger steaks are ready to serve with your favorite sauce or french fries
Below are listed some products which are recommended for your preparation and frying. You can consider buying one to help you make flavorful and crispy Idaho finger steaks.
Lea & Perrins The Original Worcestershire Sauce
Enhance your dish’s flavor and dipping sauce’s taste with the shake of its premium and exotic ingredients. They are made from molasses, anchovies, tamarind extract, distilled white vinegar, chili pepper extract, cloves, garlic, onions, and salt.
It is natural, cholesterol-free, fat-free, with no preservatives. This sauce is a perfect match for your marinades, dressings, soups, stews, pastas, and beverages as well.
Qinline Food Storage Bag
You can avoid using disposable plastics with these environment-friendly bags, which come in the freezer size. They consist of 2 reusable gallon bags, 4 leakproof sandwich bags, and 4 food-grade kids’ snack bags.
They feature a leakproof and airtight design and a pinch-lock to preserve your food’s nutrients, flavors, and juices. With BPA-free storage bags, they are suitable for marinating meats and storing fruit slices, veggies, snacks or leftovers.
Lavatools Javelin Pro Duo Thermometer
It features a fast-reading system with better accuracy and an ambidextrous auto-rotating display. It is the first food thermometer that has a notification alert for readout. With high quality polymer, it resists impact and cracking during your cooking process.
You can get a digital and instant temperature reader for your finger steaks, or for grilling, deep frying, BBQ, smoker, and even home brewing.