When a rich cheesecake is combined with the sweet and tart huckleberry, it creates a perfect harmony. Making a huckleberry cheesecake is not really intimidating as you can use the classic cheesecake recipe and add huckleberry topping at the top. However, if you want a bakery-like cheesecake with huckleberry topping, this recipe would be super nice.
Easy Huckleberry Cheesecake Recipe
The best cheesecake recipe is the one with a nutty and buttery crust, topped with a fluffy filling. In this unique recipe, you will find a different taste of crust with crunchy nuts inside.
For the Crust
- ½ cup of salted butter, softened (buy here)
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour (buy here)
- ½ cups of walnuts/pecans/cashews/almonds, chopped finely (buy here)
- ¼ cup of packed brown sugar (buy here)
For the Filling
- 1 cup of heavy whipping cream (buy here)
- 8 oz of cream cheese, softened (buy here)
- ½ teaspoon of fresh lemon juice (buy here)
- ¾ cup of powdered sugar (buy here)
- teaspoon of vanilla extract (buy here)
For the huckleberry topping
- 2 cups of frozen or fresh huckleberries (buy here)
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch (buy here)
- ½ cup of cold water
- 1 tablespoon of salted butter (buy here)
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt (buy here)
How to Make Huckleberry Cheesecake
- Prepare your topping first by mixing the cornstarch and salt. Add in the cold water until it becomes smooth. Add the butter and berries, then bring this mixture to a boil. Use medium heat and turn it down once it boils. Let it simmer while stirring it for about 2 minutes until it slightly thickens. Don’t make it too thick because it will get even thicker when it is cool. Put it in the refrigerator before using it as the topping on your cheesecake.
- Now that your topping is ready, prepare the crust. Mix all the ingredients in a medium bowl, except the butter. When all is well combined, add in the butter and mix it with a fork or your finger. Put this mixture in the middle of a baking sheet that is ½” in thickness. Bake for five minutes, stir with a spatula, and bake again for another five minutes.
- Once the crust turns golden brown, press it into a pie plate while it’s still hot. Use a 9-inch pie plate to create a pie crust, starting from the sides to the bottom. Put the pie crust in the refrigerator to cool it down.
- Make your foamy cheesecake by mixing all the ingredients together with a hand mixer, except the heavy cream. Add in the heavy cream at a low speed once all the ingredients are well mixed.
- After the cream is well incorporated, beat the mixture at a medium speed for about 2 minutes untill it becomes fluffy. You can add an additional teaspoon of lemon juice if desired, so check the taste at the end to make sure it meets your preference.
- Since everything is ready, spoon the filling into the pie crust and and add the huckleberry topping at the top. Make sure the topping is cool enough before using it.
You can always adjust the flavor of this recipe to your preference. For example you can use graham crackers instead of flour and make it as a no-bake cheesecake instead of baking the crust. However, it is always best to bake the crust for a crunchy texture.
Recommendation of Tools and Ingredients
Here are some recommended tools and substitute ingredients to make this huckleberry recipe even easier.
1. Hamilton Beach 6-Speed Electric Hand Mixer with Whisk
This hand mixer would be a perfect option for beating your cream cheese as it has six different speeds, conplete with a QuickBurst function. This feature allows you to add additional speed at anytime. You don’t have to worry about your electric bill as it only requires 250 watts at its highest speed.
Moreover, there is a snap-op storage case to keep all the attachments in one place. Every time you need to use this hand blender, you can just open the storage without any drama of losing the beaters. One of its best features is the Bowl Rest feature. The bowl is designed to allow you to torest the mixer when you add the ingredients. There will be no drips all over your countertop.
2. Instant Omni Air Fryer Toaster Oven Combo
A combination of an oven and an air fryer, this versatile tool features seven different functions, including roast, broil, bake, warm, toast, air fry, and convection. With the EvenCrisp technology, that provides hot air circulation from the top, allowing you to get a crisp pie crust.
Moreover, this multifunction oven doesn’t need preheating time. It can cook your meals from frozen until they’re golden brown, with a temperature range of 95 to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. It has an extra large capacity to fit even a big cheesecake crust.
3. Pyrex Easy Grab 2-Piece Glass Pie Plate Set
This glass pie is perfect for this recipe as it has a 9,5-inch measurement. Made of Pyrex glass, this pie plate is also great for cooking, serving, storage, and microwaving as well as baking. Whether you want to put it in the freezer or refrigerator, it is safe for both.
The wave pattern rims are made for easy handling and add additional style to your pie crust. You can easily press your crust to the edge. You can directly put it in your preheated oven without having to worry about its glass material. It’s sturdy, durable, and safe for a variety of cooking methods.
4. Wild Huckleberry Pie Filling
Since fresh huckleberries and the frozen ones are sometimes not always available in your nearest grocery store, you can use a ready-to-use pie filling. This Wild Huckleberry Pie Filling allows you to experience the real huckleberry flavor by using fresh huckleberries as the main ingredient.
There are plenty of big chunks of huckleberry inside, and it comes in a bug-size jar that you can use it to top your 9-inch pie crust. Using this pie filling is a great alternative to making your own huckleberry topping, especially when you can’t find fresh huckleberries.
5. Diamond of California Pie Crust
In this recipe, you will use a mix of all-purpose flour and nuts to make the pie crust to add the buttery and nutty flavor, and this pie crust is a perfect substitute when you can’t make one.
There is sometimes a time when you don’t even have time to make a pie crust, so you can just use this California Pie Crust. This pie crust is special as it is made of three nuts without adding any artificial flavors or corn syrup.
Compared with the huckleberry cheesecake recipe above, it has more nuts and less flour, which means it is low in carbohydrates and high in protein. With the ingredients used, it can enhance the flavor of your fluffy and rich cream cheese and the sweet yet tart huckleberry topping.