From the taste that is not too sweet, the moist texture, to the color that is tempting, huckleberry pie really is a scrumptious addition to your special occasions. If you are looking for a huckleberry pie filling, you will love this post. Because we have collected some of the best products to help you make the best huckleberry pie as your summer treat. Let’s get right into it!
1. Taste of The Wilderness’ Pie Filling
The pie filling has to be one of the most popular huckleberry products. This product comes in a jar bottle with a weight of 42 ounces. With this one-bottle product, you can create an amazing 9-inch pie and make everyone happy. It is specially made for wedding cake filling, crepes, sundaes, muffins, and even cobblers. Its ingredients include wild huckleberries, sugar, citric acid, tapioca, and pectin. Just so you know, the brand also makes a 16-ounce product.
2. Bounty Foods’ Special Pie Filling
This is good recommendation as it is delicious, healthy, and just what you and your family need. With its bottle jar, this product offers 38 ounces of pie filling with the taste of huckleberry. The good thing about this product is the process of collecting and making it. The huckleberries themselves are collected right from the mountain forest and proudly made with traditional touches. The product can be used for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Halloween parties, Mother’s Day, and so much more. For the ingredients, this gluten-free product is made using huckleberries, pure cane sugar, water, non-GMO cornstarch, cinnamon, lemon juice, salt, and vanilla.
3. Taste of The Wilderness’ 20 Ounce Pie Filling
For another huckleberry preserve, you can take a look at this product. It comes from the Taste of the Wilderness brand, offering 20 ounces of pie filling. The product is the perfect addition if you want to create a mouthwatering pie for your loved ones. If you cannot find huckleberry where you live, you can definitely get it online.
4. Bounty Foods’ Double Pack Pie Filling
If one jar is not quite enough for you, you can get this product from Bounty Foods. This is a 2-pack of pie filling with 20 ounces of weight. With its multi-functions, this product is great for pies, cobblers, toppings, and desserts. The ingredients include huckleberry, water, pure cane sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt with no corn syrup, soy-free, peanut-free, dairy-free, nut-free, and gluten-free.
How to Make Huckleberry Pie Filling
If you want to make your own huckleberry filling, you can definitely make it yourself. With the right ingredients and steps, you can create the best pie filling for your special huckleberry pie. Mind you, it is easy to make!
- 6 cups or 730 grams of frozen huckleberries
- 1 cup or 210 grams of granulated sugar
- juice from half a lemon
- 5 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Zest of half a lemon
- Mix the huckleberries, lemon juice, sugar, and zest in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan. Simmer over medium heat until the berries release their juices, about 5 to 10 minutes. Taste the sweetness, and adjust according to taste.
- Remove a few tablespoons of the berry juice from the pan and mix it with the cornstarch to make a puree. Add the cornstarch to the pan with the berries. Stir until it is thickened, smooth, and frothy. Keep in mind that this can happen very quickly, but can take up to 5 minutes.
- Remove it from heat and stir in vanilla. Transfer it to a container to cool. Your huckleberry pie filling is ready!
Step-by-Step Method to Make Your Huckleberry Pie
- 5 cups of wild huckleberries
- 1 and a half cup of sugar
- 5 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons of tapioca
- 1 teaspoon of freshly grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- Collect all the ingredients and mix them together with a spoon to make everything well distributed.
- Pour it into the bottom of the pie crust when it is set on a pie plate.
- Dot the top of the mixture using 2 or 3 spreads of butter.
- Follow it by covering with a second pie crust.
- Once positioned correctly, you should have a 1-inch overlap on the top crust so it can be crimped with the bottom crust.
- Crimp the two pie crusts together and create a decorative edge to cover the two piecrusts.
- For your information, the pie can be refrigerated until you are ready to bake it, or you can bake it immediately.
- Start the baking process by preheating your oven to 450 degrees.
- Place the pie on the center rack of your oven and bake it for 15 minutes. After that, lower the temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking for another 30 to 40 minutes, or until the filling begins to bubble.
- Once the pie crust is golden brown and it looks cooked, it should be done.
- Remove and let the pie cool on a cooling rack until ready to serve.
- Before your pie goes into the oven, make sure to brush it with a little heavy cream and sprinkle it with sugar. This step helps the top of your huckleberry pie look like a perfect golden brown. This is a simple step but will totally add a lot to the look of your finished pie.
- If your pie filling is too runny, you can add a thickener. Add 2 tablespoons of tapioca or you can add 5 tablespoons of cornstarch.
- If you don’t have enough huckleberries (4 cups), you can always replace the remaining amount with blueberries. These two different berries are known for having quite the same flavor.